Provide and/or coordinate estimating services on multiple projects in varying market sectors and contract types. Demonstrate a strong understanding of construction costs as they relate to all building systems, and the ability to handle multiple tasks for an estimate or bid. Compile estimates covering all construction aspects appropriately while maintaining a very strong customer service focus (both internally and externally).
PRIMARY TIER (manage/prepare directly)
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare quantity take-offs by utilizing surveying software (i.e. Bluebeam) as necessary.
- Create solid Value Engineering (VE) options for clients.
- Level subcontractor proposals using department scope sheet templates for assigned trades on bids.
- Enter project metrics and financial data for all projects assigned as Lead into historical data sheets.
- Review and incorporate historical data from subcontracts, purchase orders, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit costs.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings, attend pre-bid/design meetings, determine the scope of work, determine required proposal/bid deliverables, ascertain potential risks, follow-up for in-house operations plans, etc. when assigned as Lead on estimates and bids.
- Prepare complete conceptual, schematic, design development, and final construction document estimates as well as estimating tracking and variance reports.
- Lead and/or assist the project team in the purchasing, leveling, and award of subcontracts as well as partnering with the project team in the preparation of subcontracts and purchase orders in an accurate and timely manner.
Educational and experience requirements include a 4-year engineering degree or equivalent combination of technical or field-related experience, plus at least ten years experience/knowledge of construction estimating, cost controls and engineering required. Thorough understanding of industry practices, estimating procedures, and the New York construction market. Ability to manage multiple project estimates and deliverables as well as all types of projects and contracts.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are a must. Ability to be tactful, respectful, influential, and diplomatic when dealing with clients, subcontractors, and co-workers. Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction including safety, risk mitigation & control methods, operational means & methods, and technology.