The Safety Specialist will report to the Safety Manager and work closely with him to develop, maintain, and implement the UAG Safety program. The Safety Specialist will also work closely alongside UAG project operations teams to ensure regulatory
safety compliance and loss control related subjects, including but not limited to safety, health, environmental, fire protection, and prevention. The Safety Specialist will observe and enforce compliance with NFPA, OSHA, NEC, DOT, FDNY, and NYC DOB, and insurance-related matters for UAG.
Additionally, the Safety Specialist will help minimize the risk of exposure on job sites and related accidents. They will monitor operations to eliminate hazardous activities, audit UAG projects for unsafe behaviors, and compliance with all federal, state, and local standards and/or regulations and UAG policies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements and monitors the UAG Safety IIF program.
- Assists the Safety Manager in developing and modifying policies and procedures to implement the UAG Safety IIF program.
- Will be the Prime reviewer of contractor safety and health manuals and programs, including environmental, health, and safety plans (EHaSP and Site Safety Plans.
- Work closely with project team members in writing project-specific HASP’s
- Reviews High-Risk Activity Pre-Plans, High-Risk STARRT Cards, and Daily STARRT Cards for projects.
- Travel to construction sites and interfaces with project managers, superintendents, and third-party safety consultants as a resource to advise compliance for all matters regarding UAG Safety 360 IIF program.
- Works with UAG Safety Manager to analyze predictive analytic data.
- Works with UAG Safety Manager recording loss control metrics to track and trend contractor performance including accident (industrial and general liability) and fire incidents, near misses and internal staff complaints or issues.
- Inspects the construction sites to assure compliance with UAG Safety 360 IIF Program including safety document management and all local, state, & federal regulations / standards.
- Performs documented safety inspection after each site visit
- Assists the Safety Manager in developing training programs related to UAG Safety 360 IIF program.
- Oversees the enforcement of disciplinary action procedures by contractors.
- Assists UAG Safety Manager in conducting training for UAG staff and contractors including toolbox talks, OHSA related training subjects, NYC SST certifications
- Liaise with UAG staff and 3rd party vendors and report findings to UAG Safety Manager.
3 years of progressive experience in building and major projects construction. Four-year degree in related discipline and construction safety or Qualified Construction qualifications / certifications. Knowledge of federal, state, and local safety, fire and building codes and safety rules and standards for construction is essential.
Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including word, excel, and power point.
Required certifications: OSHA 30 for Construction, Associates Degree in a related construction or safety discipline, NYC DOB Site Safety Supervisory Training Card.
Preferred certifications: BCSP CHST, NYC DOB Superintendent, Site Safety Coordinator, Site Safety Manager and/or Fire Safety Manager. OSHA 500 training.
This candidate can be required to stand and / or walk on their feet for long periods of time during site visits.